Monday, March 5, 2012

The Household Guide to Dying - A review

A good friend of mine recommended The Household Guide to Dying to me a couple of years ago. I have only just gotten around to reading it!


I'm not sure what I expected this book to be about. I should have guessed it was about dying from the title, but somehow, I decided the title was a metaphor....so when I started reading and realised the book was about a 37 year old dying mother I thought the book would make me fall to pieces. How could a book about such an emotive topic not get me down?

Well, it did get me down, a bit. But it also kept me enthralled, gave me hope, filled me with amazement at the power of love. In the end, I did enjoy this book, the characters were very likeable and engaging, the story line quirky and fun at the same time as being serious and meaningful.

The narrator's relationships with her daughters and her determination to leave a legacy for them was heart rending, but beautiful at the same time. Her acceptance of her own death was very moving. Delving into her back story was really interesting.

Definitely will read more by Debra Adelaide!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book as well.
    Thank you for sharing your review for the AWW challenge

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds challenging. I'll add this one to the reading list! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a review of a literary novel as part of the AWW challenge. This one comes highly recommended by several Aussie booksbloggers.

    ReplyDelete